[vdr] Re: how to start VDR on a multiboot machine?

On Freitag, 21. Februar 2003 17:30 Niko Tarnanen wrote:
> I managed to get the VDR 1.1.25 running on my PC, and now I would need to
> make it start on its own. My PC has Linux and Window$ in it and I'm
> using lilo to select the OS. What I'd like to have is a lilo menu
> like this (on a monitor, not on a TV-screen):
>
> 1. VDR-stand-alone (default)
> 2. Linux_with_X
> 3. Windows
>
> Options 2 and 3 I already have, Windows boots now as a default after a
> timeout of 20s. I do know how to add a selection to lilo and how to
> change the OS booting as a default.

Edit /etc/lilo.conf, duplicate the few lines concerning the Linux_with_X
entry, and call the first one VDR-only (or whatever). To the VDR entry, you
append the line

append="3"

and on the other one

append="5"

This will make your linux boot in different runlevels (see Ulrich's Mail) and
you can add vdr-scripts to the runlevel-3 directory, and your
x-windows-scripts to the runlevel-5 directory. The second part is the default
on debian systems if I remember right.

Besides looking for it on the net, your distribution may already have several
howto's regarding that topic. Look into /usr/share/doc/howto or
/usr/doc/howto for that.

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt