[vdr] Re: How many satellite cables needed?

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 15:40, Walter Schittek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to the project and even don't yet have the DVB hardware. In our
> new appartment, I want to prepare the cables for VDR.
>
> With only non-encrypted channels, I want to have the possibility to
> - simultaneously record 1 channel from air and play something that I
> have on disk from yesterday, OR
> - make time-shift.
>
> With my hardware (Pentium III 1000MHz, 256 MB RAM) would it be possible
> to replay by software? If yes, which software?

AFAIK you can use only one card to record and playback at the same time and
also do timeshift over the MPEG decoder of the DVB card.

> If no (that means that I need 2 DVB cards):
>
> How many cables do I need from the roof to my PC?

Only one, becuase you just need 1 card.
But I think two are better because a single card system could bekome too
small. Just my opinion.

> If only 1, is it possible to always connect it to the 1st card, so that
> I don't need to change the plugging? Is it right that the 1st card then
> must have an MPEG decoder and the 2nd too?
> Or is it possible to always receive by the 1st card without MPEG decoder
> and to watch (from air or disk) by the 2nd card with MPEG decoder but
> without satellite cable?
> If no to the last question: If I had 2 cables, would it then be possible
> to have one DVB card with MPEG decoder and one cheaper without?

Obsolete to answer, or?

> Sorry that I don't already understand all internals of VDR and DVB
> cards. These questions are important for me because of big cost
> differences between 1 cable and 2 cables. Maybe there are some more
> newbies that have similar questions ...

I think the cable won't cost so much, and the dual LNB won't too.

> Thanks!
> Walter

Christian