Von: Sven Karlsson [mailto:svenka@it.kth.se]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2003 15:28
An: vdr@linuxtv.org
Betreff: [vdr] Re: 160GB disks - ATA/133

Hi Matt,

>As far as I can see, the only fix is to buy an ATA/133 controller. This
>is a proprietary fix (Maxtor), and not part of the ATA standard, right?
>I guess Serial-ATA is going to be the long-term fix...

The drive is back-wards compatible with older ATA standards so you do not
need any new controller.

In fact, I have run the Maxtor 160GB drives on a number of controllers
ranging from ATA100 controllers (with ATA100 enabled) down to non-DMA
controllers without problems. You will, of course, have to use good cables
to use the higher ATA modes but that is all.

As pointed you in other postings, you will need a kernel that implementents
the 28-bit addressing mode. There are a number of kernel patches for this
and the most recent kernels have the support "built-in".

I have a 160GB drive in my VDR machine and I'm a happy camper. The
motherboard is a very old super socket 7 board with a VIA chipset. It works
just fine.

I have, however, some other questions:

1) Have anyone seen the new Maxtor MaXLine II 320 GB drive for sale
anywhere? (I'm talking about the 5400 RPM variant) I've run out of hard
drive space...
2) I'm using reiserFS for my rather large partitions on the 160GB drive. On
another system (which also uses the maxtor drive) I'm using ext3fs
partitions and there is a quite substantial performance difference between
the two. The ext3 system is much faster when it comes to filesystem
performce. Can anyone comment on the perferred (journalling) filesystem for
a VDR machine?

Best regards
 Sven