[vdr] Re: Again: How many satellite cables needed?

On Donnerstag, 27. Februar 2003 21:16 Walter Schittek wrote:
> Sorry but I don't get the one matching answer together with what I find
> in the internet. Here are some links that say that time shift is only
> possible with an additional DVB-Card:
> http://www.linuxdvb.tv/cgi-bin/fom?_recurse=1&file=12#file_16
> http://archiv.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/2002/0017/data/vortrag.html
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/ps-08.04.02-000/
> http://www.linux-ag.de/news/linux-firmenbrief/no35.html#Thema8

That USED TO be true, since the Metzer Brothers (the initial driver
developers) made the impossible possible - record and replay DIFFERENT
streams on ONE dvb-card.

BTW: At the time they first said this was possible the producers of those
cards still claimed it was impossible.

You need one Full-Featured DVB card (like the Nexus-S) and you can watch any
program or recording while recording another one (as long as both programmes
are on the same transponder). This is possible since the HEAD drivers and
vdr-1.1.something (somewhere around .12 I guess that was introduced).

Remember: All of this implies using ONLY the DVB-card's tv-out for replay.
Time-Shift is always possible if you use a software that records from the
DVB, but replays on the Graphics-Adapter (like most common windows software
does)

Again, the timeshift is only possible if you record a program, and watch a
DIFFERENT one on the SAME transponder (like RTL, RTL2, SRTL share one
transponder, or Sat.1, Pro7, Kabel1 share one). You cannot watch RTL while
recording Pro7. For that you need two cards.

But you CAN watch what you are recording right now, at another time-index
(i.e. start recording at 20:15 and start replay from the beginning at 21:00
while it still records), which I consider real time-shifting;)

Greetigns,
Sascha Volkenandt