[vdr] Re: LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

Hi,

> For the connection, I use two 'normal' CAT 5 cables (20m + around 10m
> for a network outlet/box = 30m) connected to a 20m cross-over CAT 5
> cable. Directly connecting the both PCs with the 20m cross-over cable
> gives a perfect picture, but then, the cable is visible in the whole
> stairway :-(. Connecting the two 20m cables with an network cable
> adapter already causes blocks and interruptions, but not as much as if I
> use the complete connection over 50m.

I think it's a cable lenght problem.
When installing cables at my home i have some cables over 30 Meter.
I had to correct the connectors. Twisted Pair is not twisted enough for
lenght over 20 Meters so you have to turn some cables.

> How can I avoid these problems? Is the reason for the problems the
> overall cable really the length of around 50m? Does a switch help
> 'amplifying' the signal? Or can there be transmission errors that are
> not corrected by the used UDP protocol (caused by other cables near to
> the LAN cable)?

yes a switch can help a bit but only for length about 20 meter each cable.
for 50 meter you need two switches or two 25 meters cable.

Konrad