[vdr] Re: LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

vete.ran@gmx.de wrote:

For the connection, I use two 'normal' CAT 5 cables (20m + around 10m
for a network outlet/box = 30m) connected to a 20m cross-over CAT 5
cable. Directly connecting the both PCs with the 20m cross-over cable
gives a perfect picture, but then, the cable is visible in the whole
stairway :-(. Connecting the two 20m cables with an network cable
adapter already causes blocks and interruptions, but not as much as if I
use the complete connection over 50m.
I think it's a cable lenght problem.
When installing cables at my home i have some cables over 30 Meter.
I had to correct the connectors. Twisted Pair is not twisted enough for
lenght over 20 Meters so you have to turn some cables.
can't be. TP with 10/100/1000MBps is specified for cables up to 100 meters. I have Gigabit Ethernet (over copper) running @home with cables up to 60 meters running perfectly giving a throughput of approx. 70 MB/s via IP.

How can I avoid these problems? Is the reason for the problems the
overall cable really the length of around 50m? Does a switch help
'amplifying' the signal? Or can there be transmission errors that are
not corrected by the used UDP protocol (caused by other cables near to
the LAN cable)?
yes a switch can help a bit but only for length about 20 meter each cable.
for 50 meter you need two switches or two 25 meters cable.
that's totally crap. You only need a swith if you have cable lengths over 100 meters. So you would need a switch every 100 meters or use fiber optic cables up to some 10 kilometers...