[vdr] Re: LAN cable length / Streaming Plug-In

Hi!

> can't be. TP with 10/100/1000MBps is specified for cables up to 100
> meters. I have Gigabit Ethernet (over copper) running @home with
cables
> up to 60 meters running perfectly giving a throughput of approx. 70
MB/s
> via IP.

> > yes a switch can help a bit but only for length about 20 meter each
> cable.
> > for 50 meter you need two switches or two 25 meters cable.
> that's totally crap. You only need a swith if you have cable lengths
> over 100 meters. So you would need a switch every 100 meters or use
> fiber optic cables up to some 10 kilometers...

So what is your opinion on this? The first 20m cable is from Conrad, the
other 20m cable from a PC store, each around 20 Euro. Are those cables
so bad or are there some influences from other cables? The first 20m
cable starts at the PC next to my hifi system and goes around 15m next
to loudspeaker cables (for my 2 surround boxes :-)). If it was the last
point, I would not have any problems if I turned the volume down,
wouldn´t I?

Jörg