[vdr] Recordings not showing on FAT partitions (Was: A/V sync...)

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Christian Jacobsen wrote:
> Another thing. I started recording with a timer and at the time I wanted to
> start watching the recording did not show up in the recordings list. After
> restarting VDR (during commercials) the recording showed up. At the moment I
> am using FAT for recordings (might change as I am about to install a new
> disc) could it be that ?
> Anyone had that too recently ?

  Yes, all the time when I was using FAT/VFAT partition for my /video.
This might be a problem in glibc seekdir, and there is a kernel patch to
avoid the problem by Trond Myklebust.  I have not tried this as I added
more disk space as /video0/ with reiserfs and the FAT partition is my
/video1/, and the bug does no harm there.

http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/
http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/2.4.20/
http://www.fys.uio.no/~trondmy/src/2.4.20/linux-2.4.20-05-seekdir.dif

"   A patch that papers over a glibc bug. In glibc-2.2 and above, they use
the new getdents64() syscall even for the 32-bit readdir. As a result,
they have problems coping with the unsigned 64-bit d_off values that may
get returned by some NFSv3 servers.

    If you are seeing problems involving files that mysteriously disappear
from your directory listings, then please consider applying this patch.

    NOTE: You might still have to set the '32bitclients' export option on
some IRIX servers. "

--
Foreca Ltd                                           Jaakko.Hyvatti@foreca.com
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 B, FIN-00150 Helsinki, Finland     http://www.foreca.com