[vdr] hdstatusd: monitoring ide disk spinning status

  Hi all,

  I wanted to know how may times and at what times my ide disks started
spinning for some reason in the vdr machine, and to find that out I wrote
a simple program to write spinup/spindown times to syslog.  It also avoids
writing to syslog when the syslog disk is not spinning (there is a small
window for harmless race condition - but never mind).

http://www.iki.fi/hyvatti/dvb/

  By the way, the changes I made to make vdr machine access disk less
while idle:

- no cron
- xntpd ntp.drift moved to ramfs
- vdr: changed epg data to be flushed to disk only once a day
- vdr: changed epg debug messages to happen not 5am but 6pm
  (will not wake up the disks unnecessarily when I am sleeping)
- vdr mp3 plugin: change id3 cache purging from 5am to 6pm (see above)
- root fs mounted with noatime
- ? maybe a lot of other things too..

  Hope this helps someone else on debugging ones vdr setup too.

--
Foreca Ltd                                           Jaakko.Hyvatti@foreca.com
Pursimiehenkatu 29-31 B, FIN-00150 Helsinki, Finland     http://www.foreca.com