[vdr] Re: GERMANY: cable feed for RTLGroup & ProSiebenSat.1

Hi Christian,

> It's sad to see how the paying customer of german
> cable-TV is beeing locked out (sorry link is in german):

I *don't* want to start a "which reception method is better"
war ;o)), but *I* think it's the german Post / Telekom's own
fault. I installed my satellite dish some 12-13 years ago. At
the time I made the decision to buy sat equipment instead of
cable, simply because

- cable was *way* more expensive in the long run
- even back then satellite had (in conjunction with a normal
   ariel)  more to offer than cable with the exception of only
  Premiere World.

Had the Post / Telekom been clever at the time and installed
glass fiber instead of copper wire, they would (now and then)
have a huge set of advantages as we (they) could send

- TV
- Picture phone
- Internet (I have been waiting for DSL since 2000 ;o(((
- Video on Demand streaming
- more

over a single line.

However, they wanted to make big time money w/o investing
at the time and now they (sadly, the users of cable, really) are
getting the feel the results of their skimping.

Cable never was *really* popular and it is turning into a dying
species (over here in Germany). This is also most likely one
of the reasons why it takes Convergence much longer to iron
out bugs DVB-C specific bugs in the driver.

Of course, I understand the feelings of each and every cable
user as this is *NOT* what they paid for

Greetz,
Reinhard

---
Mail is certified Virus Free.