[vdr] Re: Beginner questions

Hi Juri,

> > The real problem with J2 is that you are "handling" the fragile
> > ARM-7 outputs directly. Many people have killed their DVB
> > that way. [...]

> As far as I know and as far as me and a lot of other users have
> experienced, this is *also true* for the standard composite out on the
> back of the card. It has died a horrible death on many cards...

Yes, I realize that this thoroughly possile. Simply because the
composite output is also *just* connected to the ARM-7. There
are a few parts (cap, coil and one resistor (don't remember))
in the signal path, but nothing really to protect the ARM.

If you add the piggyback to the DVB it *should* also save your
DVB if you do something via the composite output as the FBAS
ARM-7 line is also protected. However, it *would* be safer to
pick up the composite afer my piggyback (two wires, so no big
deal).

If you (and others) are interested, you may wish to have a look
here:

http://www.vdrportal.de/board/thread.php?sid=&postid=14331#post14331

I made brief desription of my plans on vdrportal (second to last
post at the moment) The whole extension board scheme is
modular, which means you can start out with the piggyback
(and use it) and slowly work your way up ;o))

I am (just right now) thinking about more goodies to add.
Ideas in my mind are (i.e non of this is reality yet):

- starting VDR via the board (setting timers for boards that don't
  support nvram) The clock would be a DCF-77. You would no
 longer have use the BIOS to start up VDR.

- Maybe setting system time from this (needs root user rights!)

- Being able to control VDR via buttons and having status LEDs
  for playback , etc (just like a real VCR ;o))

- Mutable SPDIF Audio

- Power On  (depends on if its doable) Helmut asked me for this
  feature via RCU.

- switching TV AV

- switching TV Aspect ratio (don't know yet)

- LCD Display (similar to LCDProc, but /w/o the code & program)

- Temp Monitoring of DVB & CPU Autoshutdown if too hot.

As I said ideas only ;o)) My main problem is to see if I can control
the necessary processor via RS-232 as I have no other way of getting
at the infos except through VDR (i.e. I cannot "poke" at the DVB
hardware to see if it's doing a rec or playback, etc. I also would need
a way of shoveling the next due timer via RS 232 to the control
processor. This would simply set an alarm. When the RTC(time)
equals Timer->Next(timer) it boots VDR.

But then as I am making it modular, I still have some time to think
about the ideas ;o))

Greez,
Reinhard

---