[vdr] Re: A/V sync problems with new drivers

Hi Steffen,

> > not. The AV711x of course can only do this with mpeg2 frames, so
> > any downscaling (or upscaling) of say a divx film is most likely to
> > be software based. That is, unless, mplayer (and the whole codec
> > stuff behind mplayer) converts the divx to mpeg2 first and then scales

> Thats not true. It would make no sense to first convert it then scale and
> convert it a second time.

No you misunderstood what I meant. If we have a divx movie with say
512x512, it would make sense to scale this (via software) to 352x288
(if its PAL), convert it, and then let the TI do an upsampling to 720x576
(which it does a la TI pdf with a 352x288 input. Scaling possibilities
are shown on pg 34 of the Ti.pdf). There is no sense in working with
512x512 all the way up to the DVB driver and then changing the
resolution. 512x512 would also be a resolution that the TI can't
upsample directly. The second conversion (in your statement) is
the auto upsampling of the TI chip and this needs no further
software intervention.

I just wasn't sure if they first convert and then scale it or vice
versa, but you cleared that up ;o))

> Furthermore mplayer does not convert it to mpeg2,
> it makes use of the mpeg1 encoder from ffmpeg.

Yes, sorry, I meant to write mpeg 1/2

> The splattered code is one of the reason why arpi stops to
> be the maintainer  ;) and plans to make a new player.

Yes, I read that ;o)) The problem is that he will have to very
strict with what he implements in the future. Otherwise the
same problems will reappear. And even if he does, it will still
make for a very complicated code that you can't understand
in a few minutes. But Juri is our connection between VDR
and Mplayer ;o)) So he will have to watch every move that
arpi makes. AFAIK Juri stepped into mplayer and skripting
sometime around Mplayer pre-9. And his skript is doing a
great job here (but my PC isn't exactly lacking computation
power ;o))

Greetz,
Reinhard

---