[vdr] Re: AW: Re: vdr cuts recordings with ugly artifacts at cutting-points

> > But I also see block artefacts at cutting points. I can get rid of them
> > with PVAStrumento, but this creates mpegfiles, not VDR recordings...
>
> but i assume that means throwing away some gops, right?

Well - if it is just the cuts then PVAS will only throw away some
(B-)frames.

[...]

> > What PVAStrumento does at cut-points is that it simply throws away
> pictures
> > referring to a "previous" GOP (which can be determined because the GOP
is
> > then flagged as "not-closed").
>
> ?!? i thought the stations send non-closed gops in general, so all the
gops
> should be marked as not-closed. i must be getting something wrong here..

No, you're right. But it appears that there may be some stations sending
closed GOPs. And although PVAS was invented to convert DVB-streams nowadays
ppl. use it to correct a lot of different streams. So a check for closed-GOP
makes sense.

> > As I'm almost through with adding marks.vdr processing to PVAS
>
> do i get it right? pvas would then be able to do the cutting? no more
> artifacts? that would be a good step into the desired direction..

You should get rid of the artefacts just by running PVAS over the cut
recording. Using the marks.vdr gets rid of the cutting process in vdr, so
cutting and converting on the fly.

> > I will consider adding vdr-output to PVAS - which should not be too
> > different from mpeg2-PS output.
>
> but these wouldn't just open up in any authoring-software, or?

Don't think so.

> also i wonder if anyone knows a way to make a program stream out of the
> vdr-format under linux directly?

Currently I am in touch with someone who seems to be working on this.

rgds

    Wiljo