[vdr] Re: vdr cuts recordings with ugly artifacts at cutting-points

hi all,

i remained a bit quiter in this thread because i am no programmer and i
could not be too helpfull here, i am afraid, but:

a friend of mine, who is quite into video took a look over this thread and
wrote me an email, wich i will translate as good as i can, because i think
it contains some helpfull information. i will also past the german text
below, since there should be quite some germans involved here and i might
disinterpret anything.

/jc

* * * TRANSLATED TEXT * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

it all doesn't seem to be only a software problem but also based in the
hardware itself.

afaik from other dvb-projects hauppauge and siemens don't completely give
out their apis for their hardware.
this leads to the problem, that the buffering of the muxed audio- and
video-signals meant to keep a/v-sync doesn not work flawlessly with pc-dvrs
so far.
i spoke to a programmer friend of mine who could confirm that.

another problem is the differing handling of the broadcast stations with the
timecode-information (dvb timestamping and reference clock) that are
necessary for correct resynchronizing within the demux-section of the card.
if there are already errors whilst encoding, for instance some set top boxes
(e.g. applies to all kathrein, hyundai and humax with zdf-digital) have
difficulties keeping audio and video in sync.
also interresting is that pc-dvrs usually don't have problems recoring these
streams.

* * * ORIGINAL TEXT IN GERMAN * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *