[vdr] Re: Splitting large recording

Helmut Auer wrote:
> Is there a smart way to split a large recording over 2 dvd+r discs ?
> I set the max. recording size to 1490 MB so vdr.001-vdr.003 fits on 1
> dvd. Whats the best way for the second dvd ? I can rename vdr.004 to
> vdr.001 and generate a new index, but I hope there is a better way ?!

Since I don't like switching dvds, I do it the following way:

dvd #1:
-------
moviedir/datedir/
    001.vdr
    002.vdr
    003.vdr
    004.vdr --> /dvd2/moviedir/datedir/004.vdr (symlink)
    summary.vdr
    marks.vdr --> /tmp/marks.vdr (symlink)
    resume.vdr --> /tmp/resume.vdr (symlink)

dvd #2:
-------
moviedir/datedir/
    004.vdr

- If you have two dvd drives (/dvd, /dvd2) you can mount both dvds and
  play the recording as usual.
- If you have one dvd drive, simply copy the contents of dvd #2 to
  directory /dvd2 before starting replay. Normally this shouldn't take
  too long because there is probably less than 1GB on the 2nd disk.
- marks.vdr and resume.vdr point to a r/w media, so you can mark some
  interesting scenes, stop replay and resume later.

HTH,

Oliver