[vdr] Re: R: Re: tech patch for vdr 1.1.27

Hi Barbini,

> > Did you fix the way UNC & BER are calculated? As I didn't have
> > a DVB card which supported these two features, I couldn't
> > check the implementation I made for these two.

> mmmh, no.
> I modified slightly the patch itself for latest vdr version.
> Anyway I'm eager to know more.
> Basically the patch itself add a function to get signal info from dvb
card,
> is this correct?

Well it does two things. It gets the info from the DVB and also
calculates the values you see on the OSD as the new drivers only
give back values from 0-65535. I calculate the dB & dbm from
there. This part is in dvbdevice.c (actually dvbdevice.c should only
contain the "get" part. The "put it on screen part should (i.e will
be) moved to menu.c. My problem at the moment is that I have
to be quicker than Klaus's ChannelInfoOsd, otherwise the tech
output gets bashed by the ChannelInfo. As soon as Klaus changes
the ChannelInfoOsd to a ChannelInfoWindow, we will be able
to display both (as windows) simultainiously on one OSD.

> It shows on top two bars, in my case one is around 75 and the other 62.

You can adjust these settings (check my original nessy code), so
that you either get a three colored or two colored line. The red,
yellow and green values are adjustable. The code also allows you
to send the Info not only to the OSD, but also to the console (grab
it out of /var/log/messages). This is for Serverusers. The routine
also checks what values your frontend can retrieve and dynamically
adjust the tech info OSD to the right size (i.e if you have 3 DVB cards,
say one can show SS & SNR, the other SS & UNC and the third all 4
values, the OSD is automatically adjusted, when either the EPG scan
kicks in (depending on the card used) or if you switch primary devices,
it also always shows the maxium amount of info possible. (I did put
quite a bit of thought behind all the routines ;o)) to achive this)

> I assume that I've to move the dish until they grow. ;)

Yes, you want max length ;o))

> What UNC and BER are for?

UNC shows number of uncorrectable blocks in the stream
BER shows the BitErrorRate

> But I have a Fujitsu dvbs card (v.1.6) and I can learn quickly!

Aha, and that is why you only see SS & SNR ;o)) Convergence
hasn't implemented UNC & BER for these cards ;o(( W/o
a tuner specsheet, you have no way of implementing the correct
addresses into the DVB driver (otherwise I would have already
done this as I am using the same card). But I'm working on getting
the necessary specsheet ;o))

Greetz,
Reinhard

---