[vdr] Re: Merging AutoPID-patch into VDR before 1.2.0 (was: Re: Re: pcr<> vpid)

Rene Bartsch wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:
>
>  >>There was a great deal of activity on the list regarding the handling of
>  >>PCR<>VPID but nothing seems to have come out of that yet.  Is this
>  >>something that has to wait for 1.2.0 or later?  Or is there a patch on
>  >>the horizon.
>  >
>  >
>  > This will be one of the next things I add to VDR, _before_ version 1.2.0.
>
> What about adding Andreas Schultz's AutoPID-patch?

I'm currently working towards a _stable_ version 1.2.0, and there's no
way I'm going to do anything in that area before 1.2.0 - that would only
unnecessary delay this long overdue version. The only change I will still
make before 1.2.0 here is setting the PCR-PID.

> Of course, it will need some debugging, but I think it will be the best
> solution to merge it in before 1.2.0.

I don't think so. I'm sure Andreas will provide a patch based on the stable
1.2.0, so if you absolutely must have this you can always patch the official VDR
version.

> This will also solve the problems with channels.conf. It's a mess to get
> a channels.conf with all channels for TV and Radio for the satelites
> personally used. Especially as channel information often are dynamically.
>
> Currently additional channel-scanners are necessary for that. But that's
> no option for dummy-users only having OSD and no idea of linux.
>
> With the AutoPID-patch you wouldn't need to ship a channels.conf but
> only a transponders.conf with VDR and VDR would update channels.conf
> automatically.

This will be done later, after 1.2.0, because for the basic operation
you don't need that kind of stuff. Once you have a channels.conf VDR
works just fine (except for some channels that change their PIDs every now
and then, but the majority of channels is pretty "stable").

> The problem would be the line-based sorting of channels.conf (which I'm
> praying to skip for a year, now). This could be solved by an additional
> field "channel-number" which stores the unique number of the channel
> beginning with "1". A new channel simply would get the next free number.
>
> This way the user would have a static number for each channel. And when
> the user rearranges sorting of channels, the channel-number in
> channel-number field would be changed instead of the line.

That's what the "unique channel id" is for. This concept will be further
improved after 1.2.0. There will also be user defined "favorites" lists,
in which users can have their own channel numbering.

Klaus