[vdr] Re: Building VDR for North America

Stefaan,

no no no, here in North America they use MPEG2 streaming from satellite but most channels is crypted as far as I know. But again I can be wrong here as I am very new in this area and even do not have receiver yet. I have helped some people with ripping video from PVR (resonal video recorder -- satellite receiver + HDD to store video stand alone model). Quality of video was very god compare to broadcast TV or normal cable (not digital). We was using DishPlayer 7200 plus dishrip program (for windows but work on linux under wine). There is a discussion group on yahoo for this program where people try to make VCD/SVCD/DVD from recordings. So, it is MPEG2 stream but I would like to talk whith somebody who already tried Satellite TV tuner and know what available otherwise I will be a piligrim in this area for North America.

Andrey

Stefaan Coddé wrote:

Andrey Vlassov wrote:

I am interested in building VDR but stable on missing information

regarding North America region.

Is anybody on this list >from North America?
Was you able to build VDR and how successfull you was?
Now many channes do you able to pickup? What DBV card do you use?
What is the best DVB card for North America?
What is the best supplier for DVB card?
I would like to talk over email with people interested in building or

already build VDR for North America.

Too bad : the VDR software works only with a few DVB-S, C or T cards,
mainly Technotrend based.
The US doesn't use MPEG2 as is used on the european satellites.

Stefaan

Andrey Vlassov
UNIX System/Network administrator

Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of British Columbia, Canada
2356 Main Mall, Vancouver B.C. V6T 1Z4

Phone: +1-604-822-8768
Email: andreyv@ece.ubc.ca   (MCLD#257)