[vdr] Re: PALM PDA as Remote Control

Am Dienstag, 06.05.03, um 20:45 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Dieter Poesl:

Nice idea :-)
But I'm looking for a 2way-communication. Just like http://www.giantdisc.com
What advantage do you expect to have over using a standard remote?
I have experienced a little bit over the last weekends, and although not familiar with
Palm-programming, I managed to get a basic communication-channel between
a Palm Tungsten and my Linux-box. It was based on rfcomm without tcp/ip, so
opening a channel and sending some data is very fast - you don't have to wait
for ppp etc.
But after the first enthusiastic moments I began to think about the
advantage of using a palm instead of a standard remote - obviously, the distance
with bluetooth is better: I can get a connection between two rooms for example.
What else? Feedback is provided by vdr itself through the tv. Programming can be done
via web.
I have thought about a very universal remote which can control all aspects of a headless
machine and give user feedback in a user-configurable way, just like a small web-portal.
What do you think?