[vdr] Re: Feature request: Using different colours for timers

Ralf Klueber wrote:

I missed severall recordings at the weekend because of a full disc. So I
had an idea for an VDR enhancement. It would be great, if the lines in
the timers menu are coloured (white, yellow, red) accourding to the
available disc space for each timer.
When you start the OSD you see on screen the available hours.
But: How should VDR know, what you do with the recordings.
At the moment I have (for the next 4 weeks) about 300 hours
to record. I have not enough diskspace for all this records.
Should vdr refuse to accept the next timer-entry??
Beware! I create my DVDs and delete the recordings afterwards.
I think, it's in your responsibility.

One open question is how the disc space should be calculated if
recordings are overlapping on multiple card systems.
Would be really complicated - just think of recordings done every
day / week. Depending on what other recordings are running, this
regular records might be on different cards each time. Now, say,
you enter a new timer this might change the recording for all cards.
Would be pretty colourful :-)

I think it's just like with any other recording-method:
It's up to you to decide how much fill fit on your tape and when
to change a tape. :-)

What do you mean? Is that an enhancement which is worth to be
implemented?
I fear it would be really complicated and not very helpful,
so in my opinion it seems to be rather useless.
If you want to monitor your diskspace:
A little shellscript can do this for you. It can even calculate
the timers-entry and warn you by email, if you run within
the next 48 hours out of diskspace.

regards
Wolfgang