[vdr] Re: WaitForPut/WaitForGet (was VDR developer version 1.1.31)

On Monday 12 May 2003 18:01, Stefan Huelswitt wrote:
> On 11 May 2003 Klaus Schmidinger <Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > - Removed the WaitForPut/WaitForGet stuff from cRingBuffer, since it
> > appears to no longer be necessary due to the implementation of
> > cNonBlockingFileReader in dvbplayer.c. Also, the long timeout in
> > WaitForPut caused problems with cReceivers that use a ring buffer and
> > didn't immediately return from their Receive() function if the buffer
> > runs full (thanks to Sascha Volkenandt for reporting this one).
>
> With these functions removed, how I'm supposed to wait in a
> non-busy way for data arrival or free buffer space?
>
> I cannot understand why these have been removed (specialy if we
> are close to a release). This makes the ringbuffer pretty useless
> for most uses and breaks not only my plugins.

Yeh, but those functions or at least their usage thoughout vdr and plugins i
have looked at where brocken anyway.
There are quite specific locking semantics for a conditonal variable, the
implementation of WaitForPut/Get made it impossible to use them correctly.
It only at all work because the wait was a TimedWait(1000).

Regards

Andreas