[vdr] Re: DVB over emu10k1 !?

> >>We "only" need the stream from bitstreamout.
> >>If one would directly incorporate liba52 into it, you
> >>would stick to OSS and it would probably be illegal.
> >

> > What would be illegal? liba52 is GPL, isn't it?
>
> uncompiled its as legal as a book about chemicals suitable
> for bombs, but put into use .....
>
> For real details ask Dr. Werner Fink from Suse GmbH, who made the
> bitstreamout plugin, states that he didn'timplement decoding, because
> of the uncertain legal status

I think, illegal is he wrong word, unlicensed would be more precise.
As far as I know every developer of a DD decoder (as well of a DD
encoding software) has to pay a licence fee to Dolby Labs. AFAIK this is
more than 5 Euro per copy (!), if I remember right even around 10 Euro.
With DTS, the situation is not much better - this also is not a free
format.
I think even decoding to 2 channels might need some licensing, but I am
not really sure about this... I believe to have seen some more details
on licensing in a document from the Dolby Labs website a long time ago.

With kind regards

Jörg