[vdr] Re: Nova-t UK

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 11:52:21PM +0100, David Lusty wrote:
> Can VDR be used with a nova-t without dxr-3 card?

Not if you want to actually see TV pictures :)

> if so please let me know how, as I currently just get a blank console
> screen (I assume it's trying to output to a tv, without the hardware to
> do so?).

<nod> That's all you'll get right now until a software backend for VDR
is ready for release...

> if not can anyone give me clear instructions of how a nova-t can be used
> under linux? I've been trying this for ages and it's starting to make me
> crazy :o(

Your best bet at the moment is using something like

dvbstream -f 754167 -ps -o 600 601 | mplayer - -nocache

to watch BBC1, for example.

Not exactly elegant, I know...

I've seen people who've done simple frontends to just run the
appropriate 'dvbstream/mplayer' command.. and newer mplayers apparently
support DVB cards directly, although I've no personal experience of
that..

It's probably best to spend £20 through eBay on a Dxr3, really :)

gdh