[vdr] Re: Nova-t UK

At 23:52 13/05/2003, you wrote:
Can VDR be used with a nova-t without dxr-3 card?

if so please let me know how, as I currently just get a blank console
screen (I assume it's trying to output to a tv, without the hardware to
do so?).
Yes, a dxr-3, or a full featured Siemens / TechnoTrend card is required to output to TV. I believe there are some experimental projetcts trying to use CPU power and the TV-out of a graphics card to achieve something similar but with dxr-3s going at around 10 pounds on ebay there's not that much of a point I guess.

if not can anyone give me clear instructions of how a nova-t can be used
under linux? I've been trying this for ages and it's starting to make me
crazy :o(
I don't know of any comfortable solutions for X yet, but at least mplayer supports playing back DVB PES/PS mpeg2 data. What a lot of people with just a budget card seem to be doing is to use dvbstream and pipe through to mplayer like
dvbstream -c 1 -f 578000 -qam 16 -cr 3_4 -o -ps 610 611 | mplayer -

mplayer needs some parameters for your videocard I guess. Also bear in mind with dvbstream you need a recent version from CVS to be able to set things like the QAM and FEC (coderate). 0.4pre2 won't do it - CVS can be found here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvbtools/dvbstream/

getting frustrated but I'm sticking with this one as I'm sure once I get
it working it'll be lovely :o)
I don't have a dxr3 myself but it looks like a good, affordable solution at the moment. I'd go for one of those if I didn't have a full featured DVB-s already.

Hope that gave some pointers,
- Gregor