[vdr] Re: complicated hardware setup

Am Mit, 2003-05-14 um 03.19 schrieb Oliver Brandt:

> > I'm maintaining a server with 3 budgets, DVD-R(W), one HDD and
> > 1000Base-T running NFS, NIS, DNS, vdr-streamdev and Firewall.
> >
> > It's a simple 32-bit system with Celeron1100, 768 MB RAM.
> Sound good. I that much ram needed?

I don't think so. When that server was setup RAM and CPU were cheap, so
it was put in what the board could hold.

If you don't run X or special services like a public DNS 256 MByte will
certainly do.

But you you can sleep well when you have 512 MByte RAM left for caching
DVD-R(W) and HDD ;o)

> > If I remind well PCI has a throughput of about 800 MBit/s.
> > Running 4 DVB-S recording will consume about 120 MBit/s, the 1000Base-T
> > NIC (all have cache and own µProcessor) will consume less than 240
> > MBit/s.
> Those actual numbers really help!
>
> > Onboard Raid-controllers are good for nothing. You'll only scare the PCI
> > when you invest at least 500 Euros in an IDE-Raid controller.
>
> Actually I was thinking about having the kernel do software raid 5 for
> redundancy. I've read that the preformens of the cheap raidcontrolers is
> worse then if you just have the kernel do it all by itself. A friend of
> mine is running this type of setup at the moment and is pretty pleased.
> Now that I know what preformance I need (see below) I'll check if the
> thoughput on his machine would be enought.

You don't need 120 MBit/s for recording on the disk. The TS coming from
the DVB has between 25 and 40 MBit/s and is filtered by software into
MPEG-PES which is about 4 MBit/s per recording.

> Can the clusterplugin be configured, so that it is only used if the
> stream is not MPEG1 or MPEG2? In this case dvds, video cds and the DVB
> signal would be decoded locally and only stuff like DivX would put high
> traffic to the network and use the server resources.

This should be answered by Sascha Volkenandt, the author. I did only a
short check with the first versions as I transcoded locally (using
MPlayer).

> I'm kind of
> thinking about building a diskles client that will work without a server
> by booting from a compact flash or linux-bios.

DAU-safe solution ... ;o)

> If the server is not
> avalible will it still function without the user having to take any
> actions (ofcourse then I'd have to put a DVB-card into the client). What
> I'm worried about is that if the server fails, my dad can't even watch
> tv or dvds anymore and I live over 1000km away from him, so I can't just
> drive over and fix it.

Magic word is SSH ...

> Anyway, if I mount my videofolder over NFS, have
> the client cache the files for timeshift over NFS and activate the
> cluster plugin will loosing the connection to the server just affect
> those function or won't I even be able to watch a DVD and tv (ofcourse
> no timeshift).

Ask Sascha Volkenandt for error-results ...

Rene