[vdr] An thought: IOPlugins

Hi

I thought of an new pligins the other day, an IOPlugins. Its sole
purpuse was to send and recive data from an to VDR to any externa
program. The idea of the plugins is to be able to do things the
"UNIX-way" by connecting sdtin of the external program to an output
control-stream from VDR and stdout of the external program to an
input-stream to VDR.

In the first version I just whould like to use it to the meny system eg.
sending the remote buttons to the ext.program and returning an page that
the plugin could pressent as a page like any other page in VDR. The
reason was that I would like to build a mini library sytem (for all our
books) in perl and doning a perl-lilbrary-plugins seams an bit to mutch.
But if there where a way to talk to VDR insted...

...and there came the IOplugins.

So I thougt way not go the hole way I have heared that people have got
xterm and mplayer to show on the TV  so way not make it possible to send
a hole display to VDR, by just telling the program to send its window to
display 0:1 (if the TV are :1). Way so I can play Majesty on the TV
ofcurse :) The easier part are proboly sending the window but the
sound?!

Anyway I was planing to start with this in my hollyday (in july) but
then I thought maybe others might already done this(or started anyway),
and if not I could gater som infromation first :)

My plan:
--------
1a,Get text plugins to work so that VDR can send and receve data from
   the externa program. The external program should most likly send it
   data in a special format, maybe this format exist all ready.
1b,See to it that VDR kan have sevral diffrent IOPlugins loaded at the
   same time.
2, get the plugins to receve an display and view it also.
3, work out a way to handel the sound throw VDR...

So what do you think? Is it an extreamly stupid or extrmly smart idea?

--
Erik Günther <erikg@bokus.com>