[vdr] Re: v4l - DVB TV picture on monitor

Rene Bartsch wrote:

Am Mon, 2003-05-26 um 21.49 schrieb DOm:

On Mon, 26 May 2003 18:03:13 +0200
Alexw <alexw@undercover.mine.nu> wrote:

Hello folks,

I am trying to get the tv picture on my monitor. The PC is not fast
enough (266 MHz) to handle the MPG2 decoding in software.
I known that the card is able to use graphic overlay to display the
picture on the monitor. This is quite simple to achieve (normally)
using the v4l interface. But I am unable to get "useful" information.
I've already tried the v4l and v4l2 stuff, the mplayer -tv option with
v4l2, the xawtv suite and the apps/test/video. Today I've discovered
that there is a saa7146_v4l.o module. I am able to load it but this is
not helping me in anyway.

So, how can I display the output of the DVB adapter on the monitor?
(using the overlay capability of the card)?????????

Why do I want the overlay, because it can also display the OSD ;-)

try with xawtv.
or use drivers from http://www.metzlerbros.de/mbros/dvb/ if you want to
use mplayer/mencoder

You can also use KVDR, which displays V4L in a X-Window (KDE only). It
has been explicitely developed for VDR.

The make insmod loads all necessary modules.

Rene

Yes, I've tried kvdr too but it seems that something is missing. I don't know where.
The problem is coming from the v4l compatibility with the latest release of the driver.

Xawtv reports that the /dev/dvb/adapter0/video0 is not a v4l or v4l2 device. If one of you guys if able to use fbtv or xawtv, would be please if he/she can put his driver version, Linux version and xawtv version :-) And very important the kernel version.

Is it necessary to load the sa7146_v4l.o module? Even in debug mode, I am unable to get any message in the system logger.

Do I need to go for the kernel v2.5.69 ? I don't know if the v4l2 support is better with this one.

Thanks for you help

Alex