[vdr] VDR-format?

Can anyone please tell me what kind of format the .VDR-format is?

I wonder if it is any of the standard MPEG streams like: MPEG-2 PS (program
stream), MPEG-2 TS (transport  stream), MPEG-2 PES (packetized elementary
stream) or MPEG-2 ES (Elementary stream)?

It is said that the .vdr-format is PES, but this does not make sense to me;
because (as far as I know) the  PES can contain only one elementary stream.
And the .vdr-format contains both the video stream and the audio stream.
According to what I know, a PES is a packetized version of the elementary
stream (ex. audio).

And if it is PES, what kind of PES is it then: MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, or an
mixture (ex. MPEG-1 audio and MPEG-2 video)?

Why can't I play the recordings from VDR v1.1.32 (and
linux-dvb.2003-05-10.tar.bz2) with the Elecard  application, when the I
could with VDR v1.0.4 (and siemens_dvb-0.9.4-2002-05-20). What has happend
to the VDR-format since then? The Elecard application understands quite a
lot of formats, why not .vdr?

Regards,
Yngve Johansen