[vdr] Re: 1.1.33 and black screen

On Tue, 27 May 2003, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>Jan Ekholm wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I downloaded 1.1.33 and the recommended DVB driver package yesterday and
>> have some problems. Yesterday it ran just fine and I did several
>> recordings, some overlapping and some while watching an older recording.
>> No problems at all.
>>
>> However, this morning when I was about to watch morning news the image
>> shown by VDR for live TV was black again.
>
>Maybe the EPG scan on the primary device kicked in, which turns off the
>live picture. However, any user activity should restore the original channel.

No, I usually switch channels up and down a few times, definitely long
enough for the picture to wake up. We have a channel or two that actually
never sends anything, so I always make sure me or my wife haven't changed
to that one by mistake.

<snip>

>I'd also suspect driver problems.
>Can you please try disabling the EPG scan for a test?
>Just set "Setup/EPG/EPG scan timeout" to 0.

Ok, I can do that. Running the 2003-03-11 drivers right now, and no
problems yet. We'll see in the morning if it's still alive.

>> This is a one card DVB-c system with 1.1.33 and the DVB driver package
>> from Klaus's page. Could it be that I need to create a new channels.conf
>> file that contains the new ID:s that appeared a few versions ago?
>
>If you're talking about the NID, TID and RID: VDR doesn't use these yet.

Ok.

>> Maybe VDR or the drivers don't like that the system clock changes? I
>> noticed from the log that I always do a "rdate" to set the system clock
>> early in the morning, so it *may* have drifted seconds and even minutes on
>> a bad motherboard. Could this cause a blackout?
>
>At least for VDR I'm pretty sure that a change of the system clock shouldn't
>have such effects.

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but it's one of the few things the
machine actually does except run VDR. :)

--
"It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he said.
              "Have you thought of going into teaching?"