[vdr] Re: Boot from USB-stick

Hi,

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 05:39:00PM +0200, Richard Stevens wrote:
> > anyone successful in booting Linux & VDR from a USB 2.0 Stick (harddisk
> > only for data)?
> > Is that even a good idea?
>
> even though that would be nice I have not heard yet of a way to boot off USB
> devices since to my knowledge there is no bios that can directly access USB.
> I might be wrong though.
>
> You might want to have a look at those IDE Compact Flash adapters though. They
> will give you a CF based solid state disk that is completely IDE compatible.
> I have not used them myself but they are very popular with the mini itx
> folks.

There are a lot of Mainboards/BIOSes, that are capable of booting from
USB, but it can be a pita. On some BIOSes you have to enable USB keyboard
support, otherwise it'll refuse to boot from an USB device. With some
devices you have to use a different boot sector and so on. So in general
I'd recommend booting from compact flash via an IDE-CF adapter.
I've made some notes during customising knoppix to boot from a usb device:

	http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

Perhaps they are useful for somebody, but keep in mind: IDE-CF adapters
are a lot easier...

Bye,
Matthias
--