[vdr] Re: Exit state handling in runvdr

Am Donnerstag, 28. August 2003 09:37 schrieb Jaakko Hyvätti:
>   Hi all and Klaus,
>
>   In my opinion, the exit line in runvdr is fine for testing, maybe
> saves you from typing 'killall vdr runvdr' sometimes, but is there
> really any reason not to make the loop infinite on production?  I do
> this.  If you are away from the machine, for example 2 weeks on
> holiday, what else can be done in any error situation that retry
> infinitely?  Maybe reboot the whole machine if the loop iterates fast
> for say an hour?  It is a computer, it does not get bored of
> repetitive tasks..

Wel that is what rene has done in the script. After 5 restarts in a
given amount of time a reboot is triggered. The runvdr now does restart
for eternity, only if  vdr has terminated by purpose (exit 0) or vdr
can't recover (exit 2) runvdr terminates. If you would not have this in
the script you wont be able to kill the script or doing anything else
then on the machine (scenario: vdr startup => terminates => new PIDs =>
start => ..... : you wont be able to do a killall runvdr nor to killall
vdr and fast reloading of the driver slows down the machine to
unusability) So the runvdr is absolutly right how it is.

Steffen