[vdr] Re: Problems with exit-states (VDR-1.2.2)

Am Die, 2003-09-02 um 18.03 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:

> I took a quick glance over your sample conf files.
> Maybe it's just me, but aren't you doing things unnecessarily complicated?
> For example, in control.conf there are lines like
>
> CONTROL_TTY="/dev/tty9"
>
> and further down there's
>
> control="$(if test -n "$CONTROL_TTY"; then echo "--terminal=$CONTROL_TTY"; fi)\
>          $(if test -n "$CONTROL_PORT"; then echo "--port=$CONTROL_PORT"; fi)\
>         "
>
> Why do you write the same information twice?
> Wouldn't it be sufficient to just write
>
> --terminal="/dev/tty9"
>
> as I have suggested in my recently posted example? This would also
> save you from having to write "DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BEYOND THIS LINE".
>
> Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see the advantage of your method...

Very easy:

1.)
If you misspell a option or forget a comment-char with your solution,
the lines will be parsed wrong and VDR will fail to start.

2.)
A Beginner has only to edit the commented values, but no messing around
with the options.

3.)
No extensive error-checking/-parsing in init-script necessary.

4.)
With your method (also suggested by Steffen Barszus while I was writing
the script) the init-script would have to be updated for each plugin.

The reason is mainly checking for errors as I want to extend the
init-script in a way it can catch every exception and get back VDR into
working condition --> QoS.

But my problem are the exit states.

--
Rene Bartsch