[vdr] Re: Problems with exit-states (VDR-1.2.2)

Am Dienstag, 2. September 2003 19:08 schrieb Rene Bartsch:
> Am Die, 2003-09-02 um 18.03 schrieb Klaus Schmidinger:
> > I took a quick glance over your sample conf files.
> > Maybe it's just me, but aren't you doing things unnecessarily
> > complicated? For example, in control.conf there are lines like
> >
> > CONTROL_TTY="/dev/tty9"
> >
> > and further down there's
> >
> > control="$(if test -n "$CONTROL_TTY"; then echo
> > "--terminal=$CONTROL_TTY"; fi)\ $(if test -n "$CONTROL_PORT"; then
> > echo "--port=$CONTROL_PORT"; fi)\ "
> >
> > Why do you write the same information twice?
> > Wouldn't it be sufficient to just write
> >
> > --terminal="/dev/tty9"
> >
> > as I have suggested in my recently posted example? This would also
> > save you from having to write "DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING BEYOND THIS
> > LINE".
> >
> > Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see the advantage of your method...
>
> Very easy:
>
> 1.)
> If you misspell a option or forget a comment-char with your solution,
> the lines will be parsed wrong and VDR will fail to start.

There are no comment chars as far as i have seen. And i think what Klaus
have written is right. you edit the config test and if it does not work
you will have a look again.

> 2.)
> A Beginner has only to edit the commented values, but no messing
> around with the options.

Not a problem in Klaus example you have commented out values too.

> 3.)
> No extensive error-checking/-parsing in init-script necessary.

If the config is wrong it doesn't start up.

> 4.)
> With your method (also suggested by Steffen Barszus while I was
> writing the script) the init-script would have to be updated for each
> plugin.

Nope. The -P"bla --foo=111 --bar=222" is build from conf file.

> The reason is mainly checking for errors as I want to extend the
> init-script in a way it can catch every exception and get back VDR
> into working condition --> QoS.
>
> But my problem are the exit states.

If i can reproduce it. I will report.

Steffen