[vdr] Re: Switching off

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, mark.carline wrote:

> Hi
>
> 1)       Power on button (wired to the on board power on switch).
> 2)       Standby button (wired to the on board sleep jumers).
> 3)       Reset (wired to the on board reset jumbers)
>
> I would like a button on the front of the box that when hit it does a
> nice clean shutdown, I also wanted to be able to select shutdown from
> the menu option and this then shutsdown the box cleanly.
>
> I also wondered if anyone has any tips on the configuration of RH9 to
> speeded up the startup and shutdown of VDR ?

I think you can configure the shutdown in /etc/inittab

SuSE runs a few needless scripts like searching for new hardware on
startup (hwscan), you can remove them if redhat has something equal.
Also you can remove scripts that start services like usb, hotplug, apache,
smb, etc, if you don't need them.
Run vdr as soon as possible - smb or apache (if needed) can be started
after vdr, as vdr doesn't need them.

It is also a good idea to configure a static IP adress instead of DHCP.

Florian