[vdr] Re: Switching off

At Mittwoch, 3. September 2003 19:45 mark.carline wrote:
> My only question is that how do most people switch their vdr off ?
>
> I would like a button on the front of the box that when hit it does a
> nice clean shutdown, I also wanted to be able to select shutdown from
> the menu option and this then shutsdown the box cleanly.

That's quite easy using ACPI :-)
If you enable only ACPI in the kernel (including ACPI Event Support and
Button Support) (the EPIA boards can handle it, and power off cleanly by
software), and set the Power Button setting to "Delay 4 sec." (or similar)
in your BIOS, you have an additional file /proc/acpi/event. When you read
from it, you will get a line that starts with "power button" whenever you
press the button. You can react to that as you wish (i.e. send HITK Power
to VDR via SVDRP).

Greetings,
Sascha