[vdr] Re: Switching off

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, Sascha Volkenandt (SV) wrote:

SV> At Mittwoch, 3. September 2003 19:45 mark.carline wrote:
SV> > My only question is that how do most people switch their vdr off ?
SV> >
SV> > I  would like a button on the front of the box that when hit it does
SV> > a  nice  clean shutdown, I also wanted to be able to select shutdown
SV> > from the menu option and this then shutsdown the box cleanly.
SV>
SV> That's quite easy using ACPI :-)
SV> If  you  enable  only ACPI in the kernel (including ACPI Event Support
SV> and  Button  Support)  (the  EPIA  boards can handle it, and power off
SV> cleanly  by  software),  and  set the Power Button setting to "Delay 4
SV> sec." (or similar)

not  exactly.  if  you are using ACPI you don't have to do that: with ACPI
events  like power switch presses are handeled by software. (e.g. acpid or
by just reading /proc/acpi/event)

but  if you are using APM, the PC would just go off if you press the power
button.  In THAT case you HAVE to set some BIOS setting or jumper which is
called  "Delay 4 sec." or similar. In that case, pressing the power button
would  not  turn off the machine but tell it to sleep. Now there is a tool
out there (is it called powerswithc? sorry, I can't recall), which catches
this signal and initiates a shutdown.

SV> You  can  react  to  that as you wish (i.e. send HITK Power to VDR via
SV> SVDRP).

yes.  in  any case (acpid or powerswitch) you shouldn't just do a shutdown
on a button press, but tell VDR to do so (as Sascha wrote:

SV> send HITK Power to VDR via SVDRP).

VDR  will initiate the shutdown for you if there are no running recordings
and  it will prepare the PC for the next timer (in case you are using some
wakeup mechanism)

SV> > ...I  also wanted to be able to select shutdown from the menu option
SV> > and this then shutsdown the box cleanly.

I  don't think there is actually a menu option. but you can define a power
button  on  your remote control. If you don't have enough buttons, you can
put a command sending "HITK Power" to VDR in the commands menu.

Greetings,

        Sergei
--
         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de               /\\