[vdr] Re: Fast forward stops in timeshift mode

Oliver Endriss wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a reproducable problem in time-shift mode:
> - Record any channel for at least 1 hour.
> - Enter time-shift mode, i.e. start replay from the beginning
>   (don't stop recording!).
> - Start fast forward mode.
>
> While scanning through the recording in fast forward mode, chances are
> good that time-shift mode suddenly terminates. Note that this happens
> after 30 min or so, not at the end of the recording.
>
> In syslog there is a message 'ERROR: can't read from index'.
> I added some debugging code and found that safe_read() returns 0 in
> cIndexFile::CatchUp. Can someone confirm this problem?
>
> Configuration:
> - vdr 1.2.5pre1
> - driver CVS 2003-08-23
> - single DVB-S Nexus 2.1
> - Kernel 2.4.21
> - /video on ext3

Strange...

The fstat() call in line 864 claimed that the file has an inceased
size (as calculated in line 871), so one would assume that the
safe_read() in line 883 should be able to actually read the new
file content. I would think that the data is _first_ written to the
end of the file and _then_ the directory entry is updated.
Could it be that this is not the case? Can the directory entry
be updated _before_ the data is appended to the file? That wouldn't
make sense to me...

Klaus