[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.0.2 plugin

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 01:52, Bud Millwood wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 September 2003 16:21, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Oliver Joa wrote:

> > > The simplest and IMO best solution would be to make it configurable. E.g.
> > > per makefile-parameter, or config-file entry. So everyone can put it
> > > where he/she wants.
>
> Seems some apps use /tmp - if the fifo doesn't exist, they create it on
> startup. If tmp is too volatile for your taste, maybe /var/yourapp.

I think /tmp is the place to be.

> As for extension, I vote for ".fifo".

This is linux not dos.  No extension is needed.

IMHO an extension only makes sense when you have many files with a
particular type of data in them.  Like all .c files or .h files or even
all .doc files.  In unix the extension is an aide to knowing what the
file is.

When these files are very specific to a particular problem, and there
will only ever be a few of these fifos on a particular machine then why
have an extension at all?  Call  it vdr-xine-fifo or some such.