[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.0.2 plugin

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 20:30, Onno wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just for fun, you hate dos don't you ?
>
> Malcolm Caldwell schrieb:
> [...]
> >
> >>As for extension, I vote for ".fifo".
> >

> > This is linux not dos.  No extension is needed.
> this is correct as far as "needs" are concerned
> [..]
> > all .doc files.  In unix the extension is an aide to knowing what the
> > file is.
> whew that looks like a circle?
> so .fifo is not needed, but it's good for unix to show what
> this file is, ain't it?

Hmm - I probably should not bite but...

These fifos are not a particular type of file.  By type of file I am
referring to its contents.  It is not like I (or some application) can
say "Oh look a .fifo - I know that all fifos can be opened by
application gfifoeater".  These fifos are are specific to this plugin.
All I am saying is that if extensions are used at all they should
indicate the type of file - ie what it contains.

As I said this is no reason why the name of the file can't be
informative - just that IMHO that information does not belong in the
extension.

> *lol*

Glad to have helped your day! :)