[vdr] Re: Patch to resurrect tosvcd 0.9.

Am Donnerstag, 11. September 2003 00:49 schrieb Carsten Koch:
> Hi,
>
> I just checked Werner's tosvcd site http://muse.seh.de/tosvcd
> which still lists tosvcd 0.9 of 2002-12-09 as the latest version.
>
> Is tosvcd no longer being developed?
>
> Did I miss anything that has superseded tosvcd, so using that
> other tool will produce better results?

Nothing i heard of. With new mjpegtools, the quality is very nice
alltough its not exactly fast ;).

> In any event, I wanted to run the latest tosvcd (0.9) with the
> latest mjpegtools (1.6.1.90). This no longer works out of the box,
> as tosvcd calls up yuvscaler with  -M MMX, which apparently is
> no longer supported.
>
> The patch below repairs that and also calls up mpeg2enc with
> the -K kvcd as suggested by Steffen Barszus.

Maybe the safest solution is, that one can pass the wished matrices
trough tosvcd to mpeg2enc. After all -K kvcd is a lot better then
default matrices. Another thing I have seen, is that tosvcd makes 16:9
svcds out of 16:9 recordings. I havent researched if i can switch off
that behaviour, but the default should be to make letterboxed SVCDs out
of 16:9 movies, as most DVD standalones can't handle 16:9 SVCDs (at
least the two i tried. Further what i can remember, is that tosvcd
produces a VCD directory structure for SVCDs, that may break the
playback for some dvd standalones too.

There are some other improvements i could think of, but since i'm not a
c++ developer i can't make them, so i will stop here ;)

Steffen