[vdr] Re: System freeze - scanning recordings ... --> FLATFILE?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:22:45 +0200, Patrick Cernko <errror@ps.uni-sb.de>
wrote:

> Wouldn't it be sufficient to scan the current directory and the first
> level _only_, to decide wether a found dir is a recording or a
> sudirectory. The deeper scan could be made when entering/selecting a
> specific subdir. this would made some "load-balancing" possible at least
> for those of us, who order their recordings in a non-flat structure e.g.
> by genre or series-name.

You can do this, but then it is necessary to rewrite a lot of code. I
have implemented my privat caching code directly in recordings.c to keep
changes to other parts to a minimum. For a new version it may be
possible to do this. But caching is still needed. If you have a lot of
recordings in a genre directory you run into the same problem. So as
Klaus suggests, stay with the complete tree, cache it, and do selected
updates depending on the actions performed.

Emil