[vdr] Re: best distribution for vdr?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lars Oeschey" <oeschey@web.de>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 9:42 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: best distribution for vdr?

> If you have DSL, everything will fly on your disk ;) I'm on ISDN, so I
> would use the 7 CD distro if I were to use debian. I have it already
> running on a DEC alphaserver at work and I'm quite impressed. I just
> want to make my life a bit easier, since you always have to fight with
> Suse's non-standard stuff (libraries in wrong places etc...)

What about a local mirror? There's a nice script called anonftpsync, which I
currently use.
The first time you'll have a big download, of course. But then you only have
some
MBytes/day to syncronize (you could also set up your initial mirror from the
7 CD set).

That way you can install by net or create CDs/DVDs with Jigdoo from your
local mirror.

And you can geniousy update/upgrade with apt-get from your mirror.
Debian is the biggest distribution with over 5,000 packages.

The stable/testing/unstable-selection also enables you to select packages by
need for a
reliable setup (e.g. server) or up2date setup with some minor bugs (e.g.
multimedia machine).

Rene