[vdr] Re: best distribution for vdr?

HI,

Juri Haberland schrieb:
Rene Bartsch wrote:

All RedHats from 7.2 to 8.x had different kernel-binaries and
kernel-sources.
So it was never possible to compile additional modules without recompiling
the complete kernel.

This is plain wrong. I know that it is possible because I did it a
couple of times w/o problems (think of DVB drivers modules ...)

Cheers,
Juri
This not only wron, it's ignoring the fact, that RedHat allways
explictly supported compiling modules for the stock kernels,
very sad you never ever read any of the rh doc's on how to compile
kernel or modules for stock kernels. you even dont need make oldconfig.
just get the kernel-src matching your "uname -r" and do a make config
in /usr/src/linux-'uname -r'.

The reason is clear, many high end hardware drivers are available for rh
stock kernels only (at least supported is only rh stock kernel).

as for Juri, any flames to my personal mail please :-)

Regards Onno