[vdr] Re: best distribution for vdr?

I'm using Linux (various ones) from 1993 on (way before it became a hype). I'm a programmer as well and I would certainly know how to build a system from scratch. But to be frank. I'm sick of it. I just like putting that SuSE DVD in my drive and have an hour later my video, sound, RAID, DVD-burner, two printers, scanner, UPS, CAPI Fax and VoiceBox, ISDN- and SAT-Internet and everything working like a breeze.

No recompile of kernel. DVB modules compile fine with the SuSE standard Kernel (which I do because I'm used to it, I could also use the ones SuSE delivers).

So why wouldn't SuSE be a good distribution for a VDR. I just set an NFS based system up yesterday for my sleeping-room VDR (diskless, fanless) which I boot via PXE from my SuSE based living-room VDR-system.

All is documented very well and YaST is of much help if you want to achieve something instead of claiming "I compiled everything myself"!

Just my 2 cents.