[vdr] Re: best distribution for vdr?

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 16:46:00 +0200
"Robert Schneider" <Robert.Schneider@de.ibm.com> wrote:

> I'm using Linux (various ones) from 1993 on (way before it became a hype).
> I'm a programmer as well and I would certainly know how to build a system
> from scratch. But to be frank. I'm sick of it. I just like putting that
> SuSE DVD in my drive and have an hour later my video, sound, RAID,
> DVD-burner, two printers, scanner, UPS, CAPI Fax and VoiceBox, ISDN- and
> SAT-Internet and everything working like a breeze.
>
> No recompile of kernel. DVB modules compile fine with the SuSE standard
> Kernel (which I do because I'm used to it, I could also use the ones SuSE
> delivers).
>
> So why wouldn't SuSE be a good distribution for a VDR. I just set an NFS
> based system up yesterday for my sleeping-room VDR (diskless, fanless)
> which I boot via PXE from my SuSE based living-room VDR-system.
>
> All is documented very well and YaST is of much help if you want to
> achieve something instead of claiming "I compiled everything myself"!
>
> Just my 2 cents.

I think the question "Best distribution for VDR?" is completely wrong,
I'm wondering, that no flame war is beeing instigated ;-)

I'm using SuSE (7.3, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2), without having serious problems
with VDR. in the meantime it takes only 2 hours to build a complete VDR
System, including the SuSE installation and several plugins. Everything
is working fine, incl. v4l2, sound, WinTV-Card, a.s.f....

If you know SuSE, it will be easy buidling such a system. If you don't
know it, you will hate it ;-)

--
dirk