[vdr] Re: Drop support for multiple video dirs? [was: FeatureRequest]

lör 2003-10-04 klockan 09.30 skrev Bjorn Andersson:
> On Fri, Oct 03 2003, at 16:55:15 +0200, Peer Oliver Schmidt wrote:
> > Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > >And even without support for several /video directories
> > >you could still have several disks mounted under the top
> > >level /video directory and store your recordings on the
> > >various disks.
> >
> > I am no expert, so how do I do this? Right now, if I need more space,
> > all I do is add an extra drive into the system, turn-it on, fdisk/etc.,
> > mount as new Video and I am done. Is it possible to do it as easy as
> > this, without multiple video-subdirs?
>
> Just do it like you have done before, but mount them under the /video
> directory instead of under the root directory, e.g.
> /video/disc1
> /video/disc2
> etc.

To my understanding, this wouldn't work with the proposed design for VDR
1.3. There seems to be two ways to use multiple disks in the future:

1) Use some kind of RAID (and buy extra disks to build a RAID 5 or risk
losing all recordings in a striped RAID if one disk crashes).

OR

2) Create a number of genre directories under /video, manually mounting
fixed size partitions there.

This would mean a lot of manual operations it you notice after 3 months
that the 40 GB disk used for Sci-Fi movies only isn't big enough. The
main disk has 20 GB free space, which unfortunately can't be used for
Sci-Fi movies as it is a different partition. The Sci-Fi movies
directory would have to be moved to the main disk, and some other
recodrings would have to be moved onto the 40 GB disk.

This is partially guesswork, so please correct me if I misunderstood
something.

--
Oskar Signell <oskar@signell.net>