[vdr] Re: Drop support for multiple video dirs? [was: Feature Request]

Hi, Carsten + Klaus,

On Freitag, Oktober 3, 2003, at 07:42  Uhr, Carsten Koch wrote:

Manuel Hartl wrote:
and to get the recordings in these subdirectories? i hope you won´t tell me that i have to manually move them into them. this would be definitly no alternative...
Why would you have to put them in there manually?
If that were the case, the vdr subdirectory feature would be much less
useful and vdr would be inconsistent with itself.

The timer entry determines where the recording goes - including subdirectory.
If you program it manually or by a tool, that does take care to separate recordings into categories.

At least vdradmin does not do this yet (as far as I know)

And if you separate recordings by category, it could be, that you e.g. can't record any more scifi-
movies, because there is no more free-space in that partition, but you have plenty of space for
news and comedy.

With the current approach vdr does the balancing automatically and if you want to record 1 hour
nobody has to care, where the necessary 2GB are free, even if they are spread over 8 partitions.

I use epg2timers to create all my timer entries and epg2timers is designed
to create exactly the scheme I described in my first mail in this thread,
i.e. /video/genre/title/subtitle/*.rec
Pure coincidence, of course. ;-)

I do not know how other tools like the tvtv plugin or the HTML vdr frontend
handle that, but the option is definitely available to them as well, so I
would assume that they provide it to their users.
At least with vdradmin I did not see something like this.

IMHO, it comes down to this: If you have just a few recordings, you do not
need subdirectories, but you also do not need multiple disks. ;-)
but with autotimers I can not know up front, in which categories I will have disk-space to use.

I currently use 5 partitions with around 40 GB each and ext3.

This setup works really nice with the multi-video-dir-setting.

The only alternative for me would be to use RAID0, but RAID is not upgradable on the fly.

cheers,
Achim