[vdr] Some progress [WAS: Anyone using SoundBlaster cards for AC3?]

Hi there Mario,

I finally lost my patience and just went forward with it :) Actually I'm
pretty sure I have the connector the right way around since the other
pin (ie. ground) was internally connected to so many other pins in
different connectors of the card. But I still can't seem to get it to
work.

> There should be something like "Digital In" or "Coaxial In" I suppose?
> Don't know because I have to set "Capture" to on (hit space) and also
> "Aux", but i think its quite different if you use spdif-in. soory

I've sofar only tried to route the spdif signal through my sb card ie.
not tried bitstreamout yet. I've tried numerous settings in the
alsamixer, most probable significant switches are "IEC985 Coaxial
Capture", "IEC985 Optical Capture" and "IEC985 Optical Raw [on/off]",
and I've tried all the combiations but no cigar ;(

The "IEC985 Optical Raw [on/off]" switch seems to make the spdif out of
the card on/off when eg. playing mp3:s, so I guess that with some
combination of other switches should do it. Anybody wanna confirm this?
Just a "Yes, my sb live player 5.1 works" or "No, won't work, forget
about it" would be great, so I'd know if I'm even on the right track.

> hope that helps, but perhaps someone with a direct dvb-spdif to
> sb-spdif connection could clarify how the connection between the two
> cards has to be made, then you could just try out your alsamixer
> controls to find the appropriate control.

Yep, keeping my thumbs up ;)

> hth,
> mario
>
> Mario Schellenberger
> mailto:schelli@gmx.net

@Werner:
I tried the the 'mute-sbl.sh' script you provided but I didn't get
it to enable the spdif passthrough off the card. Should it?

Best regards,

Juha