[vdr] Re: ANNOUNCE: streamdev-0.2.0 (Client/Server Streaming)

On Sat, Oct 04, 2003 at 09:32:58PM +0200, Sascha Volkenandt wrote:

> The 0.3.0 series will hopefully fix some of the "known problems".

You may have considered this already, but may I make a feature request
for the 0.3 development branch?

I sometimes watch digital-only channels upstairs on my notebook, whose
network connection to the rest of the LAN is only 11Mbps wireless, which
maxes out at 7Mbps in real terms...

This is fast enough to watch most channels most of the time (with a
large buffer) , but high-action sequences and some high-bitrate channels
just push it too far and the stream breaks down...

To this end, may I suggest that the on-the-fly MPEG2 requantiser (
http://linuxtv.org/mailinglists/vdr/2003/09-2003/msg01024.html ) be
incorporated into streamdev, as a quick and dirty way to lower the
bitrate without requiring a traditional decode/encode pipe?

Cheers, and thanks for your great work :)
Gavin.