[vdr] Re: dvb threatening file system? [was Drop support for multiple video dirs?]

Rene Bartsch wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 7. Oktober 2003 09:59 schrieben Sie:
> >
> > The problem is, that usually the cpu and all other components are only
> > tested for a few minutes to run properly and not under all conditions. Vdr
> > is putting some stress on the system...
> >
> > I mean - i put my new system under really big stress these days by running
> > lots of things in parallel (gentoo emerges, webbrowser, scanner, sound) and
> > got it crashed after some hours. Before that the compiler started to make
> > failures (it exited with segfaults). The latter are known for such
> > problems, especially if the compiler fails never at the same place. Other
> > applications did'nt show a slight sign that there might be something wrong,
> > so it's quite likely to overlook such problems.
> >
> > Traced it down to the memory chips - they are PC133 but they do not run
> > properly at 133MHz (i tried single and double-sided ones and i heard
> > Infineon are good ones), sooner or later they fail. If that happens during
> > some file-system-action it's likely to create serious damage...
> >
> > It seems that todays hardware is running to close to the limits - my
> > mainboard allows me to set the frequency in MHz steps, so i reduced it by 3
> > MHz (130 instead of 133) and anything is rock-solid.
>
> I checked my server with a 48 hour burn-in test and everything was fine ...
>
> But after installing OS/VDR the problems occurred ...

I assume OS means Operating System, right?

How did you test the server without an OS?

Did you test with just the OS installed and no VDR?

What I'm trying to find out here is whether the
problems came from the bare OS or from VDR.
In order to test with the bare OS you would, of course,
need to do things like VDR does, i.e. read and write
large files, for instance.

Klaus